General Basics & Navigation
This is NOT investment advice, just general help and opinions. Please check with a registered investment
advisor before making any investment decisions. This
document may contain errors. Chapman Advisory Group LLC employees are not investment advisors. Please review: http://www.stockconsultant.com/disclaimerpage.html
- Indicator Levels & Colors
- Trading Time Horizon
- Stock Lists
- Stocks To Watch and StockWatch
- Using keyboard keys to navigate
- Chart Options
- Portfolio and SearchTool List Options
- Portfolio and SearchTool Output Styles
- Understanding candlestick charts
- Stock support and resistance
- Stock volume
- Basic chart patterns
- Stock trade basics
Indicator Levels & Colors
- Stock indicator levels vary from 0 (neutral) to 10 (very strong, extreme)
both positive and negative.
- Indicator colors are typically blue for bullish, up, and stock support, red for
bearish, down and resistance, and grey for neutral, flat.
- Levels of 7-8 (strong, very strong) occur approximately a quarter (25%) of the time.
- Levels of 9-10 occur only 1-2 times every 6 months (5% of the time) and
represent extreme levels that can seldom be held for any amount of time.
Stock chart of an extreme short term direction rally
Trading Time Horizon
- Typical timeframe for a momentum trade to reach target is from 1 to 4 weeks (5-20 trading days)
- The typical timeframe for a breakout trade to reach target is from 1 day to 1 week (5 trading days); this is a short term event.
- Price Target 1 can be conservative at times especially if the stock has had only 1-2 big rallies or pullbacks over the past year. The more rallies and pullbacks, the more accurate price targets 1 and 2.
- The stock indicators are more consistent and provide the most accuracy on
lower volatility stocks with typical short term rallies less than 35% and typical volume greater than 300k shares (selectable in SearchTool).
- There are 8 user lists which can each hold up to 70 stocks each for a total of 560 stocks.
For members these lists are saved on the server and can be accessed from any computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- To add stocks to a list first select a list from the pulldown. Once a list is selected you can add or remove stocks by clicking on the edit icon.
- You can add or remove a single stock from the current list using the "Add XXX", "Rem XXX" link where XXX is the stock symbol. To add or move a stock to a different stock list select Add/Move and then the list.
Stocks To Watch and StockWatch
- Stocks To Watch is a daily list of screened stocks for breakout, momentum and bottom setups.
- StockWatch is a subset of the daily Stocks To Watch that show the most promise to make a move higher.
- After the market opens, StockWatch updates may also include newly screened stocks.
Using keyboard keys to navigate
- Special keyboard keys can be used to quickly navigate the stock lists, 8 month stock chart(s), and trade details.
- Press the [ and ] keyboard keys for the previous and next stock in your list.
- Press the \ key to quickly scroll down to the 8 month chart and back. In Portfolio and Searchtool this key will scroll through each chart in the list.
- Press ; or : keyboard key to scroll down to the Upside trade section and back up.
- Consultant Tool options, top right of results page
- Show BarCharts/CandleCharts link.
- Fix top chart: select time frame from 1-10 days(intraday) or 1 month to 5 years.
- Chart Options link:
- Chart type Bar or Candlestick
- Linear or log charts
- Display resistance/support lines
- Add Moving Avg(average) 1 and Moving Avg 2 lines
- Program time frames for the top and detailed chart overlay charts.
- Chart Options links are also listed under Detailed Chart, Portfolio and Searchtool.
Portfolio and SearchTool List Options
- Portfolio and SearchTool List options:
- Change the number of stocks displayed per results page from 1 to 20 charts/data (up to 35 for the Firefox browser).
- Choose between both charts and data, or data only output.
- Turn on/off Rally Bands/MA (moving average) indicators to increase speed on Internet Explorer browsers.
Portfolio and SearchTool Output Styles
Back to help topics
- The "Output Style" pull down sets what indicators will be shown in the results for each stock listed. For example, the "Fixed Breakout" output style is listed below.
- For preset screens, the output styles will default to one of the fixed styles (Long, Breakout, Short, Breakdown).
- There are four user adjustable output styles(5-9). The names and indicators can be changed and will be saved and used with the current portfolio or screen.