Stock SearchTool Screener
This is NOT investment advice, just general help and opinions. Please check with a registered investment
advisor before making any investment decisions. This
document may contain errors. Chapman Advisory Group LLC employees are not investment advisors. Please review: http://www.stockconsultant.com/disclaimerpage.html
Starting a stock screen
- Starting a stock screen
- Using Custom:
- Saving screens
- Start and end of a screen
- Create an effective stock screen
- Stock breakout screen with high money flow
- Long stock screen with high money flow and high trade quality
- Figure below shows a basic long stock search by setting search parameters: Price, Typ Volume, Target 1 Profit, Profit/Loss, Target 1 Potential and Sort by:
Upside Target 1 Profit.
- High trade quality is screened by setting Target 1 Profit, Profit/Loss, and Target 1 Potential as shown below.
- SearchTool provides the investor with a way to screen stocks for double bottoms, tops,
oversold and many more chart patterns for potentially profitable stock trades.
- To perform a successful screen requires multiple search steps.
- To limit your search to quality stocks first select a price and volume range using the
"Price" and "Typ Volume" pulldown menus.
To select more than one range select "Custom:" from the pulldown menu (see "Using Custom:" below for details).
- If you now click on the "Search!" button you should see a list of stocks for the price and
volume range you selected above.
The number of stocks found should be less than the 6300+ stocks found if you clicked on "Search!" with all other
fields set to the default "ALL".
- Next select a few of the "Overall" and "Positioning" stock indicators
to screen for general conditions.
- After each indicator selection perform a search and then view a few stocks to verify the general qualities your looking for (verify partterns and setups using the stock charts).
- Continue to add a few more stock indicators at a time (Timing, Upside Trade, etc...) and repeat the search until your satisfied with the type of stocks found.
Saving stock screens
- Many indicator pulldowns have an option called "Custom:". This option is
used for selecting more than one indicator range. For example: To find stocks with prices from 5-25 dollars,
you would select the price pulldown "Custom:" and select both the 2. 5-12 and 3. 12-25 ranges (A popup window will allow
you to select each range).
- Once a custom range is set you will see a "CM:" with numbers corresponding to the ranges selected. In the example above "CM: 2,3" would be shown.
Start and end of a screen
- Once a good stock screen is created it is important to save for later use.
- To save a screen select one of the 25 open slots under the pulldown "Set Search as User Preset" (located near the top of the SearchTool page) and enter a search name (up to 30 chars).
- To recall a saved stock screen select the name of your search from the pulldown "Recall User Preset".
- When the "Search!" button is pressed the browser status line(bottom left of the browser window) will display "SEARCHING...PLEASE WAIT!".
The screen is complete when the status bar displays "DONE LOADING PAGE..."
Create an effective stock screen
Stock breakout screen with high money flow
- The first step in creating an effective stock screen is making a base screen which narrows your search to a particular stock type.
- We have provided a base search string below that screens for stocks above 5 dollars, with good typical volume, target profit, profit/loss ratio,
and target potential with the results sorted by Upside Target 1 profit.
#,23456,,345,00!0!!0!00000000000000, 345,,34,,456, 00000004#
- Use this string in SearchTool by first highlighting the complete string (including the #'s) using the mouse
and then right mouse button select Copy (or by pressing keys CTRL and C).
Then in SearchTool under SearchString click on the link named "Set" and in the pop up window
use the right mouse button to select Paste (or by pressing keys CTRL and V).
- Press "Search!" and this will return anywhere from
300 (if the stock market has rallied and many stocks
have poor short term profit or profit/loss ratio)
to 1800 results if the market has pulled back. The screen results are sorted by highest target 1 profit.
- Next step is to narrow your search to particular stock types. Select screen parameters one at a time.
- For stocks that Outperform select a rating range of 4,6,8 on the "Overall Summary" pulldown.
- For stocks at support areas select 1 on the "Res/support" pulldown.
- For stocks in an uptrend set the appropriate month trend and/or intermediate
- Repeat these steps by adjusting one screen parameter at a time and looking at the resulting stock charts and indicators.
- If you don't receive any stock results then it could be that your have set too narrow a search or have set conflicting parameters
or due to current market conditions.
- For a stock breakout screen one could start with
setting the base search string listed below and then adjust.
- #,23456,,345,00!0!!0!0000000000000000, 3456,2,345,000008#
Long stock screen with high money flow and high trade quality
Back to help topics