Trading Guide - Chapter 1
A basic understanding of technical analysis, price action and candlestick charts is recommended for this guide. Extra reading links
to these topics can be found at the end of the guide.
This guide will concentrate on the long trade setups.
Momentum stock at support
- Enter with bullish indicators (bullish overall, high trade quality) at support with an initial stop.
- Stock rallies with less than bullish indicators, use a trailing stop.
- Exit or tighten stops near T1/T2 targets or at a short term overbought resistance area.
At the beginning of a rally there can be high uncertainty and the initial stop should be kept as wide as possible.
There is a narrow price area for optimal trades.
High trade quality areas happen at support with tight stops and maximum T1/T2 target profits.
- Enter trade on breakout level or at a local range support area prior to a breakout.
- The stock breaks out, use trailing stops.
- At the breakout target or a newly formed resistance area tighten stops or exit the trade.
Breakouts can occur with bearish indicators especially near new high areas as these can also be good short entry areas.
- The StockConsultant is useful in finding 3 types of long trades:
- momentum (with trend)
- Long trades listed correspond to momentum (with trend) and bottom types at or near support areas.
- A breakout trade is also a type of long trade which is triggered when price moves above the breakout level.
- Typical time for a long momentum or bottom trade to reach target is from 1 to 4 weeks (5-20 trading days).
- Typical time for a breakout trade to reach target is from 1 day up to 2 weeks (5 to 10 trading days); this is a short term event.
Trade Profit Expectations
Long momentum and breakout trade profit will correlate to a stock's size and industry/sector.
- Lowest profit 3-6% on large cap (price 25+, volume > 1Mil), large bank or financial stocks and large technology stocks.
- Medium profit 7-15% on mid cap (price 12+, volume 300k-1Mil), fast growing technology and medical stocks.
- High profit 15-30% (and high risk and volatility) on small cap (price <12, at any volume) stocks, biotechnology stocks
This is NOT investment advice, just general help and opinions. Please check with a registered investment
advisor before making any investment decisions. This
document may contain errors. Chapman Advisory Group LLC employees are not investment advisors. Please review: https://www.stockconsultant.com/disclaimerpage.html